Tuesday, August 25, 2009

College Football 2009: 20 Questions


With help from its rock, Tim Tebow, and a 100% returning defense, Florida was recently voted #1 in the AP poll by the largest margin in history.... It made me start thinking about some questions to consider for the 2009 NCAA Football season….

1. Should everyone wave the white flag and present the National Championship Trophy now or will Florida somehow stumble along the way? If you think they will be upset, by whom will that be?

While I do encourage giving everyone a fair shot and putting up a good fight, I think it is once again Florida’s year to reign supreme. They continue to have all the pieces of the puzzle, and barring any monumental failures should be a tough force to crack. Although, with college football you never know what type of upsets may happen on any given day...

2. Will there be a BCS buster? If so... who will it be?

You never know with this one—there’s always the possibility of Boise State appearance due to their less than impressive schedule. Also, as an alumna of the Mountain West, I would love to see TCU or Utah shake things up!

3. Is Notre Dame worthy of the #23 AP ranking after a rather dismal past few years?

This is going to have to be a wait and see type of scenario… They have some tough games—most notably, USC on October 17… While I do think Lou Holtz is completely out of his mind predicting the Irish to go to the National Championship, I’m interested to see what changes were made during the off season.

4. Will last year’s successful season for Utah and TCU bring more publicity and respect to the Mountain West Conference as a whole?

Initially both schools will be granted the attention and respect they deserve, but I’m afraid they will face the rarely televised and publicized dark that is the Mountain West. With its lackluster bowl opportunities and no outright BCS bids, it’s like trying to fight with one arm behind your back for the MWC.

5. Will Rich Rodriguez’s second year at Michigan revive the Wolverines and return them to greatness?

I have a feeling Michigan will not repeat their frustrating 3-9 record, but I don’t believe a 180 degree turnaround will happen with just one year. With games against the likes of Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State it will be an uphill battle.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. 1. In 59 years, only 10 preseason #1s have gone on to win the championship, so I'd say UF's odds are not good!
    2. I know you are biased, but I would say you have very good reason to believe TCU could be a BCS buster... if they can get past Air Force in the MWC.
    3. I would agree in saying that ND being in the top 25 is definitely a stretch. They haven't proven anything yet.
    4. Yes, I think so. BYU has the potential of doing the same.
    5. Improve? Yes. Greatness? Doubtful.
    6. Where are the other 15 questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BCS buster will be the Sun Devils of Arizona State University. How do I know this? I predicted the Cardinals would be in the Super Bowl last year before the season even started. OK; I was joking at the time, but if that can happen, the Sun Devils could be the BCS buster! The only MWC team worth following this year will be the Falcons of Air Force!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?