Monday, September 7, 2009

Melanie Oudin: Heart of a Champion

Lance Armstrong once said "I think it's better we downplay our chances. I think we should cherish this role as the underdog, because it's the perfect way to [win] this race." Melanie Oudin knows the role of an underdog, and she obviously understands how to capitalize upon it. The spunky 17 year old from Georgia has now upset #4 Elena Dementieva, #29 Maria Sharapova, and #13 Nadia Petrova to make a mark and pave her way into the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open. (Oh yeah... She's #70) Clearly, being the underdog doesn't seem to face this young competitor. In fact, it just might drive her to do more.

Melanie's success story is one of sheer determination and unshakable confidence. Oudin, who has competed with shoes marked with the word "BELIEVE" has done just that. After today's match Melanie said, "Today, there were no tears because I believed I can do it. Now I know I do belong here. This is what I want to do. I can compete with these girls no matter who I'm playing. I have a chance against anyone." She has showed competitors worldwide that rankings are merely a number, and that if you have the right mind-set and a heart full of poise and self-assurance- you're unstoppable.

Keep up the good work, Melanie. All athletes, and in fact, all humans, could use a little more of the courageous valor you have demonstrated over the past week.

2 comments:

  1. Best one yet! Finally some tennis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more fun than watching an underdog that loves to compete. Win or lose, they are just in the moment fighting to win. Some of the best sporting events I've ever witnessed have been youth sports when a team that has no business winning does just that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments?