Monday, November 16, 2009

My Letter to the Houston Chronicle


I wanted to share with you the choice words I had this morning for Houston Chronicle journalist who had the most ridiculously awful article, totally disrespecting the Horned Frog's perfect season... Enjoy!

Mr. Justice,

As I sat down to eat my breakfast and read the Houston Chronicle this morning, I was sure I would stumble upon an article about the impressive weekend the football team from my alma mater, TCU, experienced this past weekend. Instead, what I stumbled upon was this: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/6722430.html.

I'm sure this article was written to stroke the egos of the less than impressive Longhorns, and once again leave the Horned Frogs as the most overlooked and disrespected team in Texas. I sat in the stands Saturday night and soaked in the 50,000+ fans at Amon G. Carter stadium, and watched my team DISMANTLE the Utes of Utah. I must say, and I mean no disrespect, Mr. Justice- you have got this one terribly, terribly wrong.

TCU has beaten Clemson, BYU, Air Force and Utah- three of those four are ranked in the top 25 and three of those victories came on the road in very hostile environments. Texas has beaten Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Missouri. Last I checked- only ONE of these teams makes an appearance in the current AP Top 25. Texas plays a powder puff schedule- period, the end... Louisiana Monroe? UTEP? UCF? Hey Texas, why don't you play with the big boys, then you can say you deserve the chance. Don't skirt around facing tough opponents for games that merely enhance and inflate your statistics.

Just because we're a smaller private school, who only graduates 2,000/3,000 a year- rather than 30,000 does NOT translate into not deserving a chance. Neither money generated nor number of alumni equal athletic prowess. If that's what the system is based upon, then something has got to give. Keep touting Texas as this infallible power house, but I can't wait until they actually play a real team. Put them up against the likes of a Florida or Alabama, and I can't wait to see the beating they'll receive. Hey- put them up against a defense like ours, introduce them to Jerry Hughes, and I guarantee they wouldn't know what hit them.

Coach Patterson, keep up the impressive wins. The Horned Frog nation is charged and excited-the entire community that is TCU can continue to beam with pride... and our team can continue their talking... on the field.

THIS IS OUR TIME. GO FROGS!

Sarah Bardwell
TCU Class of 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?